Breathing is the quickest way to becoming relaxed. It slows down your sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) and activates your parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest). One of the leading causes of weight gain is stress eating. Being able to cope with stress is a large contributor to ongoing success in weight loss.
So how can this simple relaxation technique help you?
The Mayo Clinic states that practicing breathing techniques can reduce stress symptoms by:
- Slowing your heart rate
- Lowering blood pressure
- Slowing your breathing rate
- Reducing activity of stress hormones
- Increasing blood flow to major muscles
- Reducing muscle tension and chronic pain
- Improving concentration and mood
- Lowering fatigue
- Reducing anger and frustration
- Boosting confidence to handle problems
In short, relaxation is good for you! Relaxation is a skill and takes time to master; however, the effort you put into managing stress will pay off in the long run.
“Rules Of 5 Breathing”
A simple practice that you can do anytime, anywhere with your eyes open or closed.
- Breathe in for a count of 5
- Hold for a count of 5
- Exhale for a count of 5
- Do this for 5 breaths
- Do this 5 times a day